Friday, April 24, 2009

Misconceptions

In my early twenties I read Noami Wolf's book misconceptions and, at the time, considered a collection of good excuses not to have children.  I thought it would be interesting to re-read as a new mother.  Overwhelming, Noami's experience seemed to be a negative one.  Of course, she talks about the love you have your baby that nothing can prepare you for - that's standard in books of this ilk.  She tackles issues that may be more prevalent in the US then they are here, such as the lack of maternity leave options and the attitudes of health care professionals to expectant mothers.  In her book she talks about the dismissive way she was treated by her doctors - as though she herself was the infant she was carrying.  I found that the midwives at the mater were excellent - they explained things thoroughly - even when I asked about things like not vaccinating one of the midwives was honest enough to tell me that she had decided not immunise her own children and her reasons why.  This would be definitely against the hospital line but I appreciated her honesty.  My birth experience was very positive and I laboured quickly so I cannot comment on whether the hospital would have intervened before nature intended.  This is a large part of what Wolf writes about it - that hospital's deliver babies in a way that's best for them and their insurance policies, rather than what's best for mother and baby.  I have been lucky and the doctors and midwives I have dealt with were respectful. When Isaac was very seriously jaundiced and needed to go under lights I asked several questions about his SBR levels, treatment and what, if any, problems could arise in later life.  The doctors answered all my questions but when I talked to one of the nurses the next evening, asking about his SBRs etc. she looked at me in surprise and assumed that I was actually a trained medical professional.  I found that attitude interesting - that I wouldn't know any medical information about my baby unless I actually was a doctor, midwife or nurse by profession.  I think this shows that it's something that mothers need to meet in the middle on - we should be treated with respect by our baby's health carers, but we should also learn as much as we can ourselves.  

No comments: