Saturday, May 2, 2009

Exercise & Body Stuff

I always hoped to be one of those women who slip back into their pre-baby jeans a few weeks after birth.  Unfortunately, this is not to be - I am stuck somewhere between a size 12 & 14 and nothing fits quite right.  My size 10 jeans are currently sitting in the closet mocking me.  The baby belly belt still comes out occasionally to make pants fit.  I can forget about any of my tighter fitting pre-baby tops as my previously modest breasts have taken on Pammy proportions.   However, as much as I want to lose those kgs, exercise and eating well seem a bit like hard work.  Particularly as breast feeding has turned me back into a teenager, appetite-wise.  As some one who has always been fairly slim for my height without having to do too much about it, I range from total apathy about the situation to feeling a little depressed.  But not really depressed enough to do much about it.  During pregnancy I religiously did a pilates DVD each and every morning.  Now, Isaac's feeding time pretty much coincides with when I used to do that exercise.   I know that I shouldn't whinge about it and I should just do something about it, but it's so much easier said than done.   I really prefer team sports and to do that we need to organise a baby sitter.
The other night my best friend minded Zac and I played touch football after about a year being away from it.  I play with my husband's work team.  Apart from clearly demonstrating how unfit I have become (and to be honest I wasn't that fit to start with!), I had a great time.  I love and adore being a mother but there are moments when you wish you could capture parts of your life pre-baby.  Being back out on the touch field felt a bit like that.  So perhaps exercise is not only an option to bring back the pre-baby girlish body, but also an opportunity to touch base with that pre-baby girl.

No comments: