Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wonderful Partners - Daddies who do their bit

My husband and I have always shared the upkeep of the household. We work similar hours and contribute the same amount of income so sharing the housework seems quite natural. I still can’t believe that there are blokes out there who think it’s appropriate for the woman to bear the brunt of the housework. It’s also a huge lost opportunity for them – Nathan and I have some great chats whilst preparing the evening meal or grocery shopping together.

So, in the same vein, we were all for co-parenting Isaac. Nathan is completely besotted by his little son and loves to cuddle him at any given chance. He has never baulked at changing a nappy, laughs when Isaac “leaks” on either of us and is excellent at settling Isaac when he is upset. He has (and this is above and beyond the call of duty) taken 8 weeks off to spend with us.

I know that not every family can do that and I feel really privileged that we are in this situation. It means that Nathan is able to establish some very strong early bonds with Isaac which I know will be evident in later life. It also means that in the past few weeks I have gone to the hair dresser for a full colour rather than just rushing in between feeds. I have had a beautiful beauty and massage treatment and a couple of dinners out with girlfriends. Nathan is quite happy to give Isaac the expressed feed and I think they really enjoy that time together. I am not quite sure what I am going to do when he is back at work!

It has also given me a whole new level of respect for those that parent alone or with a partner who is not supportive. The last few weeks have been delightful but I am sure that would be different if I didn’t have the support I have. I would encourage all new dads to be on as hands on as possible – you only get this opportunity once in your child’s life. Also, there is nothing sexier than seeing your partner change a nappy or clean the kitchen. If the old love life has stalled after the birth – it’s not a bad way to kick start it ;)

No comments: