Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bring a perfect baby into an imperfect world


I often feed Isaac in the morning whilst watching the news. Bombings in the middle east, wars between Israel and Palestine, floods in Fiji, stock markets tumbling all make me wonder about the world we have brought our little one into.

I think each generation worries about this – when I was born my parents would have been concerned about terrorism, an economy that was starting to fail and the threat of nuclear war. And yet we have come out the other side relatively unscathed.
On the plus side I am bringing Isaac up in a world that has been ready to accept and embrace the first African American president, a world that is starting to recognise and act upon its environmental responsibilities, a world where miracles occur – such as a pilot landing a plane with two failed engines into a river and avoiding any fatalities. While the news is filled with the economic crisis it’s hard to focus on the positive, but the good news is definitely there.
I can’t wait to see the world through Isaac’s eyes – each little thing a wondrous event as he explores his world. Seeing the world through the eyes of a child will turn around the cynic and open our eyes to the beauty of our earth.

No comments: