Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Learning Patience

One of the greatest things that Isaac is teaching me is patience. By nature I am not a patient person, added to that I have a compulsion to always keep busy. Why do one thing at time when you can do three? The other day my mum and I were talking about the different parenting advice that has been offered through the years. Apparently she was told that when breast feeding you need to concentrate on that only – not read a book or watch TV at the same time. I somewhat sheepishly admitted to feeding, watching TV and reading a book all at the same time. At work I tended to do a few things at once (which I don’t advocate as I think you do a better job doing one thing at a time) but it’s hard to leave that habit behind.

I love to make lists of things that need to be done. There is nothing quite like crossing a task off a list. If fact, I have been known to write down a completed job simply for the joy of striking it off. My husband finds this hilarious. Isaac doesn’t always comply with my list. My intention is to work through a number of chores in quick succession but he will need a cuddle or I will simply get caught up gazing at him. Somehow I’d feel it was cheating to add “stare at Isaac” to my list. Even once he is settled and happy and I have every intention of using that time to get things done I find myself looking down at him wondering at this little angel. There are plenty of times when I want to have a shower or make something to eat and Isaac will decide he needs me more. I find myself needing to take a deep breath but as soon as I look into his face my immediate needs seem to melt away. His impatience making me patient.

No comments: