Thursday, March 26, 2009

Beating Boredom



When I was considering the prospect of maternity leave I was always worried that I would be very bored at home. Even now, friends ask if I am finding it a bit dreary (most of those friends don’t have kids!) Those with little ones told me that I was crazy and I finding time would be the problem, rather than deciding how to spend it.

The reality is that I do have a lot more spare time than I used to. As I have written before, that’s an unusual situation to find one-self in and I would feel bad about squandering it or complaining about it. So I am filling my days with visiting friends and family and getting a little bit creative.
Baking is a great way to fill the time (although it’s not a great way to get back into pre-baby shape). I have made little rabbits for Easter and a set of origami collages for our bedroom. I love to sew and it’s wonderful to be able to get into that again (although the overlocker really is too loud for Isaac). Via my trusty Blackberry I still can catch up with what’s happening at work, which makes me feel still connected to that life. It is relaxing to be at home – to be able to visit my mum or grandmother whenever they or I like. In a way, it’s a window into a simpler time. I love my career and I couldn’t be a full time housewife but I am enjoying this little break!




No comments: