Thursday, August 20, 2009

Crafty Bug - Cloth nappies re-born


Occassionally I will get an urge to get crafty and generally a succession of craft projects (all with varying degrees of sucess) will ensue. When we were first pregnant I bought and was given quite a large number of cloth nappies. At the time I had intentions of using them as nappies but we have converted to the cult of the disposal diaper. Instead they are used variously as spit-up cloths, breast-feeding privacy screens, washers for feeding time, change mats and so on. But we still have a number that don't get used so I made a change table cover and some bibs out of the neglected.

We generally put something over our plastic change table mat as it's slippery and cold and unpleasant for a little bottom. However, if you put a blanket over the mat it tends to just slip around. I sewed two nappies together and the folded over the ends at the short sides and sewed them down. This then slipped over the change table and hey presto! a cover that stays put. I still put another nappy over this so that it can be cleaned quickly and easily if we have any accidents.



To make the bibs, I found a bib that I liked and used it as a template. You should get two good sized bibs out of a cloth nappy if you are okay with a one-layer bib. If you prefer a thicker bib, sew the two together. Put velcro at the joining ends.
On one bib I appliqued a tie and the other I fronted with some fabric we had left over from Isaac's nursery - inspiration for the tie bib came from http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2009/05/tie-bib.html. Then I used bias binding around the bibs to finish them off. Whilst we can have too many cloth nappies, it seems we can never have enough bibs!

No comments: